Saturday, July 25, 2009




Friday, July 24, 2009


Sent in by a close friend of mine Take a look!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

$5 off 40lb bag of Precise Foundation
* Free Food Canister with purchase of ANY size 30lb bag of Eukanuba
* New jumbo economy size Bags on Board (313 bags for $26)
* New Merrick Summer flavors - Mixed Grill, Burger Pie & Sweetie Fries, Campers Delight and Ye Ol' Fish'N Chips

* July only, 10% savings with customer rewards

Wednesday, July 8, 2009


"The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice we give to others." - Author Unknown

Tuesday, July 7, 2009



Chocolate, Macadamia nuts, avocados…these foods may sound delicious to you, but they’re actually quite dangerous for our animal companions. Our nutrition experts have put together a handy list of the top toxic people foods to avoid feeding your pet. As always, if you suspect your pet has eaten any of the following foods, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine
These products all contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee and in the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.
Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.
The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Birds and rodents are especially sensitive to avocado poisoning, and can develop congestion, difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart. Some ingestions may even be fatal.
Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts are commonly used in many cookies and candies. However, they can cause problems for your canine companion. These nuts have caused weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and last approximately 12 to 48 hours.
Grapes & Raisins
Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. In pets who already have certain health problems, signs may be more dramatic.
Yeast Dough
Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your pet’s digestive system. This can be painful and can cause the stomach or intestines to rupture. Because the risk diminishes after the dough is cooked and the yeast has fully risen, pets can have small bits of bread as treats. However, these treats should not constitute more than 5 percent to 10 percent of your pet’s daily caloric intake.
Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
Raw meat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to pets. In addition, raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to skin and coat problems. Feeding your pet raw bones may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild. However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet, who might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.
Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to recumbancy and seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.
Onions, Garlic, Chives
These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed. Toxicity is normally diagnosed through history, clinical signs and microscopic confirmation of Heinz bodies. An occasional low dose, such as what might be found in pet foods or treats, likely will not cause a problem, but we recommend that you do NOT give your pets large quantities of these foods.
Because pets do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), milk and other milk-based products cause them diarrhea or other digestive upset.
Large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death. In other words, keep those salty chips to yourself!


"The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook."- William James

Sunday, July 5, 2009



12:00 AM CDT on Sunday, July 5, 2009
Dr. Chris Rainey McClatchy Newspapers
Summer brings constant reminders about the danger of over-exposure to the sun and the need for sunscreen – for humans. But the family pet is susceptible to the sun, too. Dogs, cats and even horses suffer from sunburn, solar dermatitis and skin cancer.
Bella keeps a tight grip on a ball as owner Sara Clement of Garland holds on at the Fair Park Dog Bowl in May. Experts say pets are susceptible to sunburn during the brightest hours of the day.
The skin of a sunburned animal is red and painful, just as in people. Hair loss may also be evident.
The most common sites for sunburn include: the bridge of the nose, eartips, skin around the lips, groin, abdomen and inner legs. Pets that have light-colored noses and skin, thin or missing hair, or have been shaved for surgery are at greater risk.
Sunburn can progress to solar dermatitis, which is characterized by redness, hair loss, crusting and ulceration of the skin. With continued sun exposure, skin cancer (such as squamous cell carcinoma) may occur.
The best way to prevent sunburn is by avoiding the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., keeping the animal inside or providing shaded areas in the yard.
Sunscreens may help prevent sunburn in pets. They're recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association for appropriate animals. The sunscreen should be fragrance-free, non-staining, and contain UVA and UVB blockers. Because most human sunscreens can be toxic if ingested by a dog or a cat, use a pet-specific product.
Sunscreens should be applied liberally and reapplied every four to six hours during the brightest part of the day.
Doggles, Nutri-vet and Epi-Pet all produce pet-specific sunscreens and can be found online. Be sure to check which product is right for your pet; some products should not be used on cats.
Ideally, it is better to prevent sunburn than to treat it. However, if sunburn does occur, your veterinarian can provide you and your pet with treatment options.
Dr. Chris Rainey
McClatchy Newspapers
Dr. Chris Rainey is a veterinarian at Animal Hospital of Orange Grove, Miss.